Lets begin with some basic windows tricks that can be done by merely using notepad.
1. Fake Windows Message Box error with VB Script
- Open Notepad.
- Copy the following code.
- X=Msgbox(“Put your Message Here”,0+16,“Put Title Here”)
- You can replace put your message here and put a funny sentence. It will be visible when this error occurs.
- Save this file as error.vbs
- Run this file and you will see an error like this.
2. Matrix effect with Notepad
- Just open Notepad and paste the following code.
- @echo off
- color 02
- echo %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random% %random%
- %random% %random% %random%
- goto start
- Save it as a batch file (.bat). eg. Matrix.bat
- Run the batch file and see what happens.
Random numbers keep getting generated in a console with green color font, giving the Matrix effect.
3. Repetitive Annoying Messages
- Open your notepad and paste this code.
- @ECHO off
- msg * Hi
- msg * Are you having fun?
- msg * I am!
- msg * Lets have fun together!
- msg * Because you have been o–w–n–e–d
- GOTO BEGIN
- Save it as a batch file (.bat). eg. Infinity.bat
- Run the batch file.
This batch file will keep bugging you with timely pop-ups like this. You have certainly been o-w-n-e-d!
4. Shutdown Script
The following script will shut down your system after a specified amount of time.
- Copy the code and save it as a batch file.
- @echo off
- set /p mins=Enter number of minutes to wait until shutdown:
- set /a mins=%mins%*60
- shutdown /s /t:%mins%
- Enter the number of minutes.
- Run the batch file.
Your system will shut down after the specified time.
Here are some other amazing computer tricks for Chrome:
5. Reverse Image Search in Google
In Google Chrome, if you right click an image and press “S”, it will do a reverse Google search. That means you’ll be able to see where that photo is and where it potentially originated.
6. Video Controls for YouTube
Most people know you can hit the space bar to pause a YouTube video, but sometimes this causes it to scroll down the page if you haven’t already clicked on the video. If you press “K”, this will play (or pause) the video every time.
Hitting the “J” key will cause you to go backward 10 seconds, while hitting the “L” key will make you go forward 10 seconds.
Thus J, K and L keys act as the reverse, play/pause and forward controls respectively on YouTube.
7. Moving the Window on Windows
If you click the “Windows” key, plus one of the arrows (right, left, up, down), your current window will move to that side of the screen.
Similarly, “Windows” + “Shift” + one of the arrows will move your window into whatever monitor is that way (right, for example).
8. Clearing the Cache
Quickly clear your cache by pressing “Control” + “Shift” + “R.” This will also refresh your page.
9. Design Mode on Chrome
If you want to play a trick on someone, and send them a fake screenshot of something that never existed, there’s an easy way in Chrome. First you bring up the console by pressing “F12“. Then enter:
- document.designMode = “on”
After this, you can edit any of the text that appears on the screen and trick anyone by changing stuff.
10. Re-open closed Tab
If you want to get back a tab you closed, just press “Control” (or “Command” on Mac), plus “Shift” plus “T” and it will magically reappear. This doesn’t work on incognito window.